Frequently Asked Questions

Ian quizical image

Q: What qualifications do I have to have to be considered for a unit of CPE?

A: Students need to have a minimum education level equivalent to high school graduation as the course does require a significant amount of reflection. A demonstrated ability to reflect on one’s own story and the impact of significant life events is essential.

Q: Do I have to be ordained or work in pastoral/spiritual care to apply for CPE?

A: No, however an educator will want to know how you plan to use this training.

Q: How do I find out what CPE units are on offer in WA?

A: If upcoming courses are not posted on the Royal Perth Hospital or Perth Community CPE Centre links on this website,  please contact the relevant Centre Director.

Q: Can I apply to both CPE Centres?

A: Yes, both Centres will consider your application independently and confidentially.

Q: How do I apply to do a unit of CPE?

A: Please contact the Centre directly on the email address given for each Centre.

Q: Why do I have to write so much in my application for a unit of CPE?

A: The application process is intensive. The CPE educator needs to assess your ability to reflect on your experiences before deciding if an interview would be appropriate. A CPE unit also requires a significant amount of written reflection.

Q: Is CPE offered in regional areas of WA or online?

A: From time to time CPE may be offered in regional areas or online, please contact one of the CPE Centres for details of what they are currently offering. CPE is offered in different formats eg full time or one day each week. 

Q: How much does it cost to do a unit of CPE?

A: In 2022 the Perth Community CPE Centre is charging $2,100, while Royal Perth Hospital CPE Centre is charging $2889.15 or $3611.43 for someone doing a placement in their own setting. Please contact the Centre Director. A payment plan may be available.

Q: Do I have to find my own CPE placement?

A: Royal Perth Hospital will provide the clinical placement at Royal Perth Bentley Group campuses. Perth Community CPE Centre applicants can negotiate for their current place of work as a placement if suitable, or a placement will be negotiated by Perth Community Cpe Centre with one of a number of pastoral service providers, including aged care and tertiary hospital settings in Perth.

Q: I’ve completed my CPE application, where do I send it?

A: CPE applications are submitted electronically. Email addresses are provided on our centres’ websites.  Please contact your preferred CPE Centre for more details.